LowCarbonPower logo
Instagram Facebook X (Twitter)

Electricity in Nauru in 2022

Global Ranking: #208
0.0% #208 Low-carbon electricity
52.40 % #26 Electrification
364.33 watts #98 Generation / person
655.00 gCO2eq/kWh #202 Carbon Intensity

In 2022, Nauru's electricity consumption was characterized by an overwhelming reliance on fossil fuels, contributing more than 90% of the total electricity generated. The remainder, amounting to less than 10%, came from low-carbon sources, predominantly solar energy. Nauru's per capita electricity usage is well below the global average of 432 watts per person, which might impact the country's quality of life and economic development. Low levels of electricity generation can constrain industrial activities, limit the provision of essential services, and impede efforts to improve living standards for the population.


To enhance its low-carbon electricity generation, Nauru can learn from successful countries that have significantly increased their clean energy production. Given its small size and limited resources, Nauru could benefit from following Japan's example in increasing solar power generation. Japan saw nearly 100 TWh of electricity generated from solar power. Countries with abundant sunshine like Australia and Vietnam have also achieved substantial solar generation. For wind energy, small-scale implementations in countries like the Netherlands and Denmark, which each generate around 20 TWh to 30 TWh from wind, could serve as models. Furthermore, while Nauru currently has no nuclear capacity, examining the success of nuclear energy in nations like France and South Korea might provide valuable insights into establishing a durable and low-carbon electricity network.


Historically, Nauru has seen minimal development in low-carbon electricity generation. Early decades primarily focused on fossil fuels without considerable investment in clean energy sources. In recent years, however, there has been a modest increase in solar energy contributions, yet the overall development remains limited and slow. The lack of more aggressive growth in low-carbon electricity highlights the need for comprehensive strategies to increase clean energy capacity, leveraging lessons learned from other countries' successes to achieve a sustainable and low-carbon future for Nauru.

Electricity Imports and Exports

Balance of Trade

Data Sources

The the data source is Ember.
Instagram Facebook X (Twitter)