LowCarbonPower logo
Instagram Facebook X (Twitter)

Electricity in Faroe Islands in 2021

Global Ranking: #30
38.1% #90 Low-carbon electricity
906.08 watts #28 Generation / person
413.07 gCO2eq/kWh #97 Carbon Intensity

In 2021, a significant amount of the electricity consumption in the Faroe Islands was still dominated by fossil energy, accounting for over half, about 62% of the total. On the other hand, nearly two-fifths or about 38% of the electricity supply came from low-carbon sources. Hydropower holds the majority of this low-carbon contribution with 26%, while wind, another clean energy source, provides close to 12%. This highlights that a meaningful transition from fossil to more environmentally friendly electricity sources has begun yet there's still a long way to go.

Suggestions

Looking at successful countries, the Faroe Islands can learn and adopt successful strategies to increase their low-carbon electricity generation. For instance, Denmark stands out with wind accounting for 59% of their electricity production. Taking lessons from Denmark, the Faroe Islands can expand their existing wind farms and improve efficiency of wind electricity production to further diversify and green their electricity supply mix. Another notable example is France with nuclear power contributing to 66% of its electricity. While the Faroe Islands doesn't currently exploit nuclear, this highlights the potential effectiveness of low-carbon technologies and opens up a conversation about the possible inclusion of a wider array of low-carbon options in the Faroe Islands' energy mix in the future.

History

Historically, the Faroe Islands' low-carbon electricity sector, composed of hydro and wind, has seen little changes. Since the turn of the century, the output from these sources has remained steady with no significant alternations reported between the years 2002 and 2016. It appears that while the Islands started utilizing the forces of wind and water for electricity production in the early 2000s, these resources haven't seen any growth or decline over this 14-year period. This could also suggest the islands' dependence on fossil fuels remained high during this same period. This historical context underscores the need for ramping up efforts and investments towards expanding low-carbon electricity generation if the Faroe Islands are to transition effectively towards a more sustainable and cleaner electricity mix.

Electricity Imports and Exports

Balance of Trade

Data Sources

The the data source is Ember.
Instagram Facebook X (Twitter)