LowCarbonPower logo
Instagram Facebook X (Twitter)

Electricity in Oman in 2022

Global Ranking: #107
3.8% #171 Low-carbon electricity
1045.11 watts #21 Generation / person
472.89 gCO2eq/kWh #122 Carbon Intensity

In 2022, fossil fuels primarily gas, dominate the electricity sector in Oman, with a massive share of over 96%. This leaves just under 4% to low-carbon energy sources, with solar accounting for almost all of this slim portion. There is little to no generation from other types of green energy sources. This heavy reliance on fossil fuels puts Oman behind in terms of sustainable electricity generation.

Suggestions

To increase its low-carbon electricity generation, Oman could take inspiration from countries like France and Slovakia, where nuclear energy constitutes about two-thirds and over half of the electricity production respectively. Given Oman's sunny climate, increasing solar energy capacity is indeed viable, but diversifying the energy mix to include nuclear could provide more reliable energy output. Challenge lies in the huge initial cost and long planning-to-operation times usually associated with nuclear power plants. Wind energy could also be a considerable option like in Denmark, where it contributes to almost 60% of electricity. However, for a comprehensive and resilient energy strategy, a mix of solar, nuclear and wind could prove most effective.

History

Historically, low-carbon electricity generation in Oman is a recent phenomenon. There was no recorded generation from solar or wind energy up until 2020. A small but significant start was made in this year with 0.2 TWh generated from solar and 0.1 TWh from wind energy. In the following year, solar generation trebled to 0.6 TWh whereas wind remained the same. The current year 2022 maintained the status quo, with solar output static at 0.6 TWh and wind still at zero. These last few years marked the beginning of Oman's journey in low-carbon electricity, but there's a long road ahead for the nation to reduce its dependence on fossil fuels.

Electricity Imports and Exports

Balance of Trade

Data Sources

For the years 1980 to 1984 the data source is EIA.
For the years 1985 to 1989 the data source is Energy Institute.
For the years 1990 to 2018 the data source is IEA.
For the years 2019 to 2022 the data source is Energy Institute.
Instagram Facebook X (Twitter)