LowCarbonPower logo

Electricity in Seychelles in 2021

Global Ranking: #66
12.3% #147 Low-carbon electricity
696.81 watts #48 Generation / person
579.40 gCO2eq/kWh #169 Carbon Intensity
None Electricity imports

In 2021, electricity consumption in Seychelles was heavily dominated by fossil fuels, accounting for almost 88% of the total. The remainder of the electricity supply, about 12%, was sourced from low-carbon energy options. Among these, solar energy played the most significant role with nearly 11%, while wind energy, though present, contributed just over 1.5% to the electricity mix. Interestingly enough, Seychelles sources all of its electricity domestically, with no imports or exports of electricity to or from other regions.


As Seychelles seeks to increase its low-carbon electricity generation, expanding its existing solar infrastructure seems to be a promising first step, given the favourable climate conditions. Additionally, Seychelles can draw valuable lessons from other countries that have succeeded in ramping up their low-carbon energy sectors. For instance, Denmark produces more than half of its electricity from wind energy, hinting at the potential of such energy in wind-rich locations, while countries like France, Ukraine, and Slovakia have managed to cover more than half of their electricity demand with nuclear power, offering an alternative low-carbon solution for Seychelles to consider.


Turning back the clock, the history of low-carbon electricity generation in Seychelles is relatively young and yet to see any significant changes. Wind energy made its debut in the electricity mix in 2013, but its contribution has remained stagnant ever since. Solar energy, introduced in 2019, has followed a similar trajectory, failing to register any growth in electricity generation in the short span since its introduction. As such, the island nation's journey into the world of low-carbon electricity has barely begun, holding promise for a green future ahead if the right steps are taken.

Data Sources

For the years 1991 to 1999 the data sources are EIA and Enerdata (imports/exports).
For the years 2000 to 2021 the data source is Ember.