LowCarbonPower logo
Instagram Facebook X (Twitter)

Electricity in Kyrgyzstan in 2021

Global Ranking: #49
89.5% #19 Low-carbon electricity
253.92 watts #118 Generation / person
105.05 gCO2eq/kWh #22 Carbon Intensity

In 2021, Kyrgyzstan generated a total of 14.47 terawatt-hours (TWh) of electricity, with low-carbon sources contributing the largest share. Hydropower was the key source of clean electricity, accounting for close to 90% of the electricity produced, approximately 13 TWh. Fossil energy, predominantly from coal, made up the remaining share, contributing less than 10% (1.47TWh). Compared to the global average electricity consumption of 410 watts per person, the overall electricity generation levels in Kyrgyzstan are still relatively low. This indicates a lower industrial activity level and a lesser reliance on home appliances and devices compared to the global average. However, it also suggests that there is significant potential for increasing electricity generation to support both economic growth and an improved standard of living in the country.


Countries like China, the United States, France, and others have successfully managed to significantly increase their low-carbon electricity generation through wind, solar, and nuclear energy. For a country like Kyrgyzstan, with no current nuclear capacity and an already high reliance on hydropower, diversification into other sources of low-carbon energy, such as wind or solar, could be beneficial. Achieving this will require significant investments in infrastructure and education to develop the requisite industry knowledge and skillset. Examining the strategies of leading countries, such as China's aggressive investment in wind and solar, or the United States' longstanding development of nuclear power, could provide valuable insights and models to follow.


Historically, Kyrgyzstan has depended heavily on hydropower for its electricity demands. In the 1990s and early 2000s, there were fluctuations in hydroelectricity, with some years seeing a decrease while others saw increases. These shifts were likely due to variations in water levels, which can significantly impact hydroelectricity generation. For instance, the late 1990s to early 2000s saw several instances of negative change in electricity generation, while the years 1994, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2003, and 2011 witnessed increases. In recent years, the trend has been generally positive, with growth in 2017 and 2020, albeit offset by a modest decline in 2021. This historical data underscores the inherent variability of hydropower and the premature need for diversification into other reliable and consistent low-carbon energy sources.

Electricity Imports and Exports

Balance of Trade

Data Sources

For the years 1990 to 1999 the data source is IEA.
For the years 2000 to 2004 the data source is Ember.
For the years 2005 to 2017 the data source is IEA.
For the years 2018 to 2019 the data sources are IEA and IEA (imports/exports).
For the years 2020 to 2021 the data source is Ember.
Instagram Facebook X (Twitter)