LowCarbonPower logo
Instagram Facebook X (Twitter)

Electricity in Guam in 2021

Global Ranking: #98
4.4% #170 Low-carbon electricity
1218.22 watts #15 Generation / person
628.19 gCO2eq/kWh #185 Carbon Intensity

In 2021, an overwhelming 96% of Guam's electricity consumption was driven by fossil fuels, leaving a mere 4% produced from low-carbon energy sources. The entirety of this 4% was generated by solar power, but despite being clean and sustainable, it only represented a minor fraction of the overall energy picture in Guam. It is evident that Guam is heavily reliant on fossil fuels for its electricity needs, and there is a glaring lack of other low-carbon energy sources.

Suggestions

Turning to the success stories from around the world, Guam may want to consider expanding its energy portfolio with other forms of low-carbon energy generation. For instance, nuclear power contributes significantly to electricity production in several countries, such as France where it accounts for 66% of generation, Slovakia with 61%, Ukraine with 58%, and Switzerland and Finland respectively harnessing nuclear power for 50% and 42% of electricity generation. Being island nations like Guam, the examples of Denmark and Uruguay, which have harnessed wind energy successfully meeting 59% and 41% respectively of their electricity requirements can be insightful. Similarly, countries that have effectively utilized solar energy, like Greece and Chile generating 19% and 20%, respectively, demonstrates potential areas of growth for Guam in solar power development.

History

The history of low-carbon electricity in Guam is rather nascent and dominated solely by solar energy. The journey began in the mid-2010s but progress over the past few years has been relatively slow. Between 2015 and 2021, the generation of electricity from solar energy has remained static, with no significant increase in output. Thus, the development of solar power as Guam's sole low-carbon energy source has been sluggish, indicating the urgent need for diversification and expansion in low-carbon energy deployment.

Electricity Imports and Exports

Balance of Trade

Data Sources

The the data source is Ember.
Instagram Facebook X (Twitter)